Saturday, November 5, 2011

How Not to Lose Friends


At 4:37 in the afternoon, Mike told me that he’s going to take a nap, Sara said she’s watching TV, and John explained how he’s been in the bathroom “for like, ever.”

Now why did I just share these enthralling tales with you? Because they shared them with me. Now, you must be thinking that I have the most boring friends on the planet.

But wait! These people are not my friends, and they did not talk to me.  They thoughtfully provided these fascinating little windows into their lives to not only me, but to their 700 “friends”, via the Facebook news feed.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m all for keeping up with what my friends are doing. But John, I barely even know you, and something tells me that even the people who do, probably don’t care how long you’ve been on the loo either. With the ability to instantly broadcast every detail of our lives over Facebook, it’s important to realize when not to click that ‘share’ button.

Facebook can be a very convenient and efficient way to keep in touch with family and friends – there’s no denying that. However, every social media user can also attest to the fact that, in addition to all the people you love to hear from, there’s also a handful of “friends” that make you roll your eyes every time you see one of their posts pop up on the news feed.

Of all the Facebook offenders, perhaps none are more well known than the person who has to post every single detail of their day online:
Awesome! Kelsea, thank you for sharing that with us, we are all better off for knowing that you practice basic hygiene just like everybody else in the country. But wait; was the water too hot, too cold, or just right? Did you condition or just shampoo this time? Please tell us more!

Next up, we have the “Shameless Self-Promoter and Spammer”. This person posts things like, “Wow, I studied less than John and still managed to beat him by 15%!” Or even, “Got the promotion as expected! What am I going to do with all this extra money?” While people have the right to brag about their achievements when appropriate, this is the person who is constantly filling up your news feed with posts about how awesome he is. This Facebook user may even take it one step further by consistently spamming his friends with invites and links. “Vote for me in the Battle of the Bands survey!” “Check out this link to my photography site.” “Please ‘like’ this page and support my friend’s sister’s former roommate’s new clothing line!” We understand what you are trying to do here, but if you could wait more than 5 seconds between each spam message that’d be great.

Additionally, there’s always someone who managed to successfully graduate from school, yet still can’t seem to use basic grammar and spelling on Facebook:
Daniel, I think you mean “that” instead of “day”, and “passing” instead of “passion.” I bet Whitney would agree with me that you should at least know how to spell “passing” in order to receive a likewise grade in English class.

Another type of post we have all grown to hate is the “Overly-Generalized Sweeping Statement” status update: 
There’s always one person who loves to make posts that are so ridiculously broad and oversimplified that they become downright annoying. Zoey’s post is a perfect example of this. Sometimes it might take a response like the one above to make this person re-examine her own behavior before broadly criticizing an entire gender of people. Touche, Toby.

Finally, we have the “I-don’t-know-the-difference-between-funny-and-inappropriate” poster:
While there are certain things you might not want to post to Facebook, this guy takes it to a whole new level. For obvious reasons, broadcasting the fact that you committed a crime to your 800-plus “friends” online is probably not a good idea. This is the same guy who uploaded pictures to your wall of you projectile-vomiting at last weeks party, even when he knows that Facebook is the main way you keep in contact with your family back home.

Facebook, Twitter, and other social networking sites have developed into a fantastic way to easily stay connected with all the people in our lives. However, just because we can share everything with everybody, it doesn’t mean that we should. Let the posts discussed above serve as a stern reminder to us all: As social media users, it’s everyone’s duty to think before we click.



7 comments:

  1. Haha I couldn't agree with this more! I think the worst are the people who post about their "extracurricular activities" (AKA drinking, partying, drug use, etc.) without even considering how bad it looks to the people they are friends with AND any potential future employer. While facebook has its many benefits, the constant status updates and letting the world know every detail of your life really needs to stop .

    on a side note, people who put stuff like this (https://www.facebook.com/sheeeesh/posts/197294777015712?ref=notif&notif_t=share_wall_create#!/hkluvr?sk=wall) on facebook publicly deserve to be mocked

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post certainly made me 'laugh out loud" a few times. People should definitely reconsider the things they post on social media sites because I'm pretty sure no one cares if you've checked into your bed at 11 pm every single night. I definitely have a few friends who blow up my newsfeed and have been tempted to 'unfriend' them, and sometimes have. If used correctly, social media sites definitely have their benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Humorous article. It is always enjoyable to see what hilarious posts pop up on my facebook news feed. Friends who post such meaningless things like you mention always bring me a nice laugh. "Who cares" is definitely one of my thoughts, however at the same time it doesn't hurt me. I just keep scrolling. i do beleive people need to be more careful what they share in terms of future employment and/or common decency. Albeit it is up to an individual's discretion what they want to share with their "friends." Tis the beauty of Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha love this post! I coudn't agree more. I have unfriended many people over the years who post useless things on Facebook. When Myspace and Facebook first came out, I thought it was a great and easy way to stay in touch with friends. I was able to connect to friends from my old school in Hong Kong all the way here in California. I think the problem people have is differentiating between fabcebook and other social media sites. Facebook was created to connect and stay in touch with people. Twitter was created for quick updates which soon turned into sharing every part of their lives. People's twitter habits have now crossed the line on to Facebook. And with the applications that allow your two accounts to be connected, it just adds to the complexity of the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Crowdsourced: That is a funny reference.
    I have to be honest and say I get a kick out of people's posts. Sometimes they are obnoxious, but for the most part, it is pretty funny. Facebook and other social media has allowed people to brand themselves and some people do a very good job. This doesn't necessarily mean that they look good, they just brand themselves well.
    I saw a funny picture of a text message where a mom tried to use social media slang. This was the conversation:
    Mom: Your great aunt just passes away. LOL.

    Son: Mom, why is that funny.
    Mom: It's not funny David! Wht do you mean?

    Son: Mom, LOL means laughing out loud.

    Mom: Oh my goodness! I sent that to everyone I
    thought it meant lots of love. I have to call everyone back! Oh gosh!

    Pure comedy! Ok..that story is sad, but you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a victim of such a newsfeed, I am now more selective of who I add as a friend on these social media sites. Like riseoftheright has mentioned, when these sites initially came out, they were for the pure purpose of keeping in touch with friends and family, but now I feel that people are just so bored that they feel obligated to clutter newsfeeds with such nonsense. I dont really care that you just took a shower or lost your last pencil at school, JUST POST MEANINGFUL THINGS!

    I also hope that people will realize that people are often judged by their online profiles. If your page is full of illegal and irresponsible activities, good luck landing that job you just interviewed for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An enjoyable article, but I have to ask who is truly at fault for the crimes of Facebook - the poster, or the viewer? While I am definitely a culprit of Facebooking to excess, and I often find myself reading status that make me stupider for having read them - I still feel guilty deriding anyone for posting, well, because I'm guilty of reading it!

    ReplyDelete